Where are they now? Find out how the Knauss Fellowship helped shape the career of ’09 alum Abigail Franklin Archer

Abigail Archer came back to Sea Grant after her fellowship and is now a Marine Resource Specialist agent at Barnstable County Cape Cod Cooperative Extension & Woods Hole Sea Grant. “Our mission is to develop educational programs in marine resource development, to help towns solve problems they encounter in the management of coastal and marine resources, and to transfer technological innovations and informational materials to public officials, educators, and marine user groups. The Marine Program is jointly funded by Barnstable County (Cape Cod), the Woods Hole Sea Grant Program, and the state of Massachusetts through the Department of Agricultural Resources. As Marine Resource Specialist my job involves a mix of research and outreach activities. I coordinate a group for herring wardens called the River Herring Network, assist with research on issues in the shellfish aquaculture industry on Cape Cod, conduct oral histories with fisheries participants, write reports and outreach materials on research results, and try my best to keep the website up to date. My specialty and my passion is working on fish passage issues.”Abigail was an Executive Sea Grant Knauss Fellow in 2009. What was your fellowship placement?NOAA-National Marine Fisheries Service – Office of Sustainable Fisheries – Domestic Division How did the Knauss Fellowship help you in your career?While at NOAA NMFS I had the opportunity to be involved in several aspects of program planning and evaluation, and to observe communication between the regional and national offices. It is now my habit when I start at a new position to immediately find and read the strategic plan, and determine how my work and programs will be evaluated. I believe this has helped me to keep my work in line with both regional and national priorities, to craft my own performance metrics, and has helped me to develop effective projects and programs.What is one of your favorite memories from your fellowship?This is a hard question! Nothing beats the feeling of moving into a new city with a ready-made group of 20+ friends, who also happen to be incredibly accomplished and inspiring people. I also loved being able to attend Congressional hearings.

0 replies